VS2017 + Postsharp 5.0.22 prompting to install tools

tankbob4851

20 Apr, 2017 11:15 AM

I keep getting "Do you want to install PostSharp Tools?" every time I compile my project.

I've checked Tools -> Extensions and Update, I have Postsharp tools for Visual Studio 2017 (version 5.0.22) installed.

I know I can click Never ask me again, but surely it shouldn't ask me in the first place?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 24 Apr, 2017 03:38 PM

Hello,

you are right. It should not ask you if you already have PostSharp Tools for Visual Studio installed.

Please, Could you zip all %temp%\PostSharp.Settings*.log files and send the archive to us?

Do you run the build from command line or Visual Studio?

What version of PostSharp nuget package do you use?

PostSharp 4.3 compiler cannot see Visual Studio 2017 extensions, so if you use PostSharp 4.3 nuget package, then the question is expected and you can get rid of it, only if you click "Never ask me again".

-jakub

2. 2 Posted by Robert Vale on 24 Apr, 2017 04:33 PM

Murphy's law, I've just install 5.0.23 and problem has gone away!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 24 Apr, 2017 04:36 PM

Hello,

We are going to close this request as we believe it was solved. Please feel free to reopen the discussion if you need more help.

Best regards,

-jakub

4. PostSharp Technologies closed this discussion on 24 Apr, 2017 04:36 PM.

5. tankbob4851 re-opened this discussion on 03 May, 2017 06:14 PM

6. 4 Posted by tankbob4851 on 03 May, 2017 06:14 PM

The problem has now re-appeared.

This is using postsharp 5.0.23 nugget compiling with visual studio

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 04 May, 2017 09:35 AM

Hello,

we had a look at the logs and they only show that the "Do you want to install compiled images?" is shown to you. I have attached a screenshot of the dialog. Could you please confirm that this is not what you see?

If it is not, could you please
    1) Send the screenshot of the dialogue you see;
    2) When the dialog is on screen, please use Process Explorer to find the process to which this windows belongs to, as described here: https://superuser.com/a/249416. Then right click on the process (sort alphabetically if the list is jumping), select Properties and send us the command line shown there.

Thanks in advance for helping us so sort this out.

Best regards,
    -tony

8. 6 Posted by tankbob4851 on 04 May, 2017 10:19 AM

Nope its the tools dialog

"C:\ProgramData\PostSharp\5.0.23\bin.Release\PostSharp.Settings.UI.exe" /prepare tools

Called by
    "C:\ProgramData\PostSharp\5.0.23\bin.Release\postsharp-net40-x86-srv.exe" /tp "postsharp-S-1-5-21-776305611-568246065-4041885241-1177-4.0-x86-release-5.0.23"

called by
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\15.0\Bin\MSBuild.exe /nologo /nodemode:1 /nodeReuse:true

called by
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 04 May, 2017 12:07 PM

Thanks for the info. We still can't figure out the cause, unfortunately. Could you please rebuild the project with diagnostics verbosity (/v:diag) both from Visual Studio and from command line and send us the console output of MSBuild?

Best regards,
    -tony

10. 8 Posted by tankbob4851 on 04 May, 2017 02:40 PM

I've attached the detailed log from visual studio,(I was prompted for the tools)

I haven't been prompted when running the msbuild manually, might need to wait an hour before it reprompts

11. Support Staff 9 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 11 May, 2017 09:54 AM

Hello,

thank you for the build log and for the patience with helping us to diagnose this issue.

It is obvious that some MSBuild properties are not propagated from PostSharp Tools for Visual Studio to MSBuild process but the reason is not clear and we are not able to reproduce such behavior.

Please, do you have PostSharp Tools for Visual Studio extension enabled in Visual Studio 2017?

If yes, then the problem might be related to XAML or .NET Standard. Please, do you have any .NET Standard projects/references or XAML files in your solution? Please, do you use project.json?

The best way how to diagnose and fix issues like this is to have a minimal example project. Please, could you send an example project to us?

-jakub

12. 10 Posted by tankbob4851 on 11 May, 2017 10:00 AM

Hi,

Yes I have XAML, I don't have .NET Standard, but what I do have is projects using the .NET standard project format, just targeting .NET 462.

I'll try and create a dummy project.

13. 11 Posted by tankbob4851 on 11 May, 2017 10:08 AM

Pops the dialog the first time, if I hit cancel, I think I need to wait an hour before it prompts again

14. Support Staff 12 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 11 May, 2017 04:07 PM

Hello,

Thank you very much for the example project. We're able to reproduce the issue.

We're closing the ticket for now as the bug has been internally filed as issue #15035. We will contact you as soon as the bug fix has been released.

For more details on our support policies and prioritization of bug fixes, please visit https://www.postsharp.net/support/policies

-jakub

15. PostSharp Technologies closed this discussion on 11 May, 2017 04:07 PM.

16. ralf.koban re-opened this discussion on 11 Jul, 2017 03:29 PM

17. 13 Posted by ralf.koban on 11 Jul, 2017 03:29 PM

As PostSharp 5.0.28 RTM has been released recently - and the quite annoying issue still appears - is there any progress on that bug #15035 ?

18. Support Staff 14 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 14 Jul, 2017 07:49 AM

Hello,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue with PostSharp 5.0.28 Tools for Visual Studio.

Please, if you are sure that you have updated PostSharp Tools for Visual Studio to the newest version, please could you send us:

• Information about your Visual Studio (you can find it in Help/About Microsoft Visual Studio/Copy Info).
    • Output from PostSharp Tools Diagnostics window. You have to enable it first (PostSharp/Options.../General/Advanced/Show diagnostic output window), restart Visual Studio and rebuild your solution. You can find the diagnostic output in View/Output and select PostSharp Tools Diagnostics from "Show output from".

-jakub

19. 15 Posted by ralf.koban on 14 Jul, 2017 09:20 AM

Hi Jakub,

I'm using VS 2017. Attached you'll find the information about VS and the PostSharps Diagnostics output window.

The important thing to note is that I'm using NCrunch (http://www.ncrunch.net) to automatically test my code.
    NCrunch runs the tests on my machine and some others simultaneously in background processes. When I tried to get the diagnostics, I disabled it so that it would not run the tests and restarted my Visual Studio (to ensure that the output is not affected on that.

Then I re-built my solution and the "Install PostSharp Tools" window did not pop up.
    Then I got the diagnostics output that's attached.
    Then I re-enabled NCrunch and shortly after that the "Install PostSharp Tools" window popped up. So I'm certain that the issue occurs when NCrunch builds the project(s) in background (it could be that that build is even done on my machine using a windows service and a different user, but I'm not sure about that).

BTW: Just in case you would ask - disabling NCrunch is no option for me.

Best regards,
    Ralf

20. Support Staff 16 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 14 Jul, 2017 01:41 PM

Hello,

thank you for the information.

Please, do you have the opportunity to test it with VS2015?

You can workaround the issue by clicking "Never ask me again".

-jakub

21. 17 Posted by ralf.koban on 14 Jul, 2017 03:58 PM

Hi Jakub,

the same happens in VS2015. If NCrunch runs, it shows the dialog.

Is the workaround permanent?
    Because I would like to still get asked for newer versions.

Best regards,
    Ralf
    Ralf

22. Support Staff 18 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 24 Jul, 2017 10:58 AM

Hello,

There is no UI to enable it again. The option persists in registry and you can delete the value: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SharpCrafters\PostSharp 3\InstallVsxAskQuestion.

This dialog is not intended as a notification of a new PostSharp Tools for Visual Studio version. There is a bug that can in some cases lead to this dialog if you build a PostSharp 5.0 project and you have PostSharp 4.3 Tools for Visual Studio installed.

Instead PostSharp should emit a warning if you build a PostSharp 5.0 project with older version of PostSharp Tools for Visual Studio. There is another bug that prevents this warning.

We will investigate what we can do about these bugs.

I'm very sorry for the confusing experience.

-jakub

23. Support Staff 19 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 13 Sep, 2017 09:15 AM

Hello,

We're closing the ticket for now as the bug has been internally filed as issue #15271. We will contact you as soon as the bug fix has been released.

For more details on our support policies and prioritization of bug fixes, please visit https://www.postsharp.net/support/policies

PostSharp Team

24. PostSharp Technologies closed this discussion on 13 Sep, 2017 09:15 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac