License not recognized

refaelsh

31 Aug, 2017 08:16 AM

Hello,
We have recently upgraded from PostSharp Express (4.3) to PostSharp Essentials (5.0.32.0).
The problem is like this:
ProjectA from SolutionA build perfectly in VS and in cmd.exe (using msbuild.exe).
ProjectB from SolutionB spits out en error:

```
error PS0243: License error. The project uses non-licensed features. It is not allowed to enhance or analyze more than 10 classes in each project by features not covered by the installed licenses. Please visit 
https://www.postsharp.net/purchase to acquire a license of PostSharp
```

How can that be? Both projects are on the same PC, use the same msbuild.exe/VS!

Thanks. Refael.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 31 Aug, 2017 03:49 PM

Hello,

I'm really sorry, this is by design.

PostSharp Express and PostSharp Essentials are not the same products and they have different licensing model.

In PostSharp Essentials you can use all features but limited to 10 enhanced classes per project. In PostSharp Express you can use limited set of features but without any limit on number of enhanced classes.

It is more complicated with PostSharp Express 4.3. It includes all features but also limited to 10 enhanced classes per project. In addition to that it contains a compatibility mode with older PostSharp Express versions. You can read more about PostSharp 4.3 Express licensing in PostSharp documentation.

You can either stay with PostSharp 4.3 Express or buy a PostSharp Framework license. We will maintain PostSharp 4.3 for a longer time period.

-jakub

2. 2 Posted by refaelsh on 03 Sep, 2017 08:20 AM

Thank you for the fast reply. But I must say I don't understand.
    In the link you provide (http://doc.postsharp.net/4.3/express-limitations) and in several other places it is clearly stated (quote from your link):

"PostSharp Express contains almost all the features of PostSharp Ultimate, but the number of types to which you can apply aspects is limited to 10 per project 
    or 50 per solution."

I understand from the above line that both Express and Essentials have the same 10/50 limitation. Therefore, I conclude, that if under Express (4.3) our stuff compiled successfully then in Essentials (5.0.32) it should compile also because both of them have exactly the same limitations.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 04 Sep, 2017 09:51 AM

Hello,

Indeed, the situation with PostSharp Express 4.3 may look a bit confusing. As was stated earlier, PostSharp 4.3 actually combines both approaches to Express licensing. We have introduced the approach with 10/50 limitation in version 4.3, but we didn't want to break builds for users with minor version upgrade. So, PostSharp Express 4.3 licensing is backward-compatible with 4.2.

However, with the upgrade to 5.0 we've completely removed the Express licensing approach used in 4.x.

-alex

4. 4 Posted by refaelsh on 04 Sep, 2017 10:00 AM

Oh! I understand now. Thank you very much for the reply.

5. PostSharp Technologies closed this discussion on 04 Sep, 2017 10:15 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac