P# 5.0 Licence on Build Server

gustinn

26 Sep, 2017 03:55 PM

We're just trying to upgrade to PostSharp 5.0.34.
Now, the TFS Build Process asks for a valid licence key, - which as far as I know shouldn't be so:

D:\TfsBuilds\74\...csproj: The license 99903 from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is invalid: PostSharp 5.0.34.0 has been released on 21.09.2017, but the license key 99903 only allows you to use versions released before 19.05.2017.

(With our current version 4.3, everything is fine.)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 28 Sep, 2017 09:50 PM

Hello,

license is not required when the build is unattended. You can find more information here. Please let us know the circumstances under which you are trying to build on the build server. I've checked the license key and it is indeed expired. Which build of 4.3 are you using?

Best regards,
    Daniel

2. 2 Posted by gustinn on 29 Sep, 2017 04:54 AM

license is not required when the build is unattended.

Exactly that's why I've posted this issue.

As the documentation you also cited says:

The License Agreement specifies that build servers don’t need their own license. PostSharp will not attempt to enforce licensing if it detects that it runs in unattended mode. [...] If this check does not work [...] it is better to report the issue to our technical support so that we can fix the detection algorithms.

It did work with PostSharp 4.3.33. It did not work with PostSharp 5.0.34.

I've checked the license key and it is indeed expired.

Yes I know - but it shouldn't matter, should it?
    As a workaround now, we've replaced the licence key on the build server so it's working again.

Circumstances under which it didn't work

• TFS 2015
    • TFS 2015 Build Server
    • XAML build

What else do you need?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 29 Sep, 2017 11:17 AM

Hello,

I was just confirming that it is not a bug in the license system. As is mentioned in the documentation, sometimes PostSharp is not able to recognize that the build is unattended correctly. PostSharp 4.3.33 was released before the license key has expired and thus would not have this behavior. Could you please send us the build log (we need just the part where the failing project is being compiled - ideally with diag msbuild option).

Thanks!

All the best,
    Daniel

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 09 Oct, 2017 12:12 PM

Hello,

We are going to close this request as there have not been any further updates. Please feel free to reopen the discussion if you need more help.

Thanks,
    PostSharp Team

5. PostSharp Technologies closed this discussion on 09 Oct, 2017 12:12 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac