Postsharp 5.0.35 Issues with binding redirects

robert.may

09 Oct, 2017 10:46 PM

I have a solution that I was opening up that had a shared project. In one project, Postsharp had been updated from 5.0.34 to 5.0.35. The rest of the projects were at 5.0.34. The project was previously working just fine, and I had made no changes to it. The only difference is that one of the projects now had 5.0.35 installed. Postsharp complained about the duplicate versions, so I consolidated the projects to version 5.0.35, and after doing so, I could no longer build. Postsharp complained about binding redirects on system.runtime (4.1.1.0 conflicted with 4.0.20). Nothing I did (including disabling the binding redirects) worked. I spent all day trying to resolve this.

I did a git reset to put my environment back to the state it was in when I started the day and tried to build. Postsharp complained about duplicate versions, so I rolled back to postsharp 5.0.34 in the single project that had it and then tried to build and everything is now working fine.

I'm guessing it's something in the new code for .netstandard binding stuff, but its clearly something newly introduced into 5.0.34.

Robert

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 10 Oct, 2017 12:22 PM

Hi Robert,

I'm sorry to hear you've had hard time because of this issue. Yes, there has been changes in PostSharp 5.0.35 regarding to assembly redirection and mapping fixing issues with .NET Standard 2.0.

I understand that 5.0.34 works for you right now, so please stay with this version until we figure this out.

May I ask you to provide some additional information to this, so we can understand what exactly has happened and give you an advice on how to do the upgrade of PostSharp to 5.0.35 successfully? Or if we figure out that there's a bug, we will fix it.

We'd need .csproj (or .vbproj) files, packages.config files and app.config (web.config) files of the projects you've mentioned and content of %ProgramData%\PostSharp\BindingMaps.

Thank you,
    -tony

2. 2 Posted by robert.may on 10 Oct, 2017 09:43 PM

Sadly, my current client would fire me for providing that information. (they fired someone for sending meeting requests to gmail . . .)

However, please note that this was NOT a solution with .netstandard 2.0. This project only had standard 1.1 references.

Robert

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 11 Oct, 2017 07:07 AM

OK, in that case, may I ask you to provide a description of project structure including target framework, package dependencies and binding maps of each project? (You can substitute names of everything related to your client's business.)

I don't know how large your solution is - if this would be to much work, please provide at least this information for one failing project so we have a chance to reproduce your issue. From your original description, we suspect that the issue would be related to binding redirects.

The changes we have done in 5.0.35 fix issues of .NET Standard 2.0, but they have impact on other frameworks as well.

Best regards,
    -tony

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 22 Nov, 2017 12:35 PM

Hello,

We are going to close this request as there have not been any further updates. Please feel free to reopen the discussion if you need more help.

Thanks,
    PostSharp Team

5. PostSharp Technologies closed this discussion on 22 Nov, 2017 12:35 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac