Application Insights Backend: System.OverflowException: 'Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.'

esben

06 Dec, 2017 11:40 AM

I have a library that I have instrumented using the postsharp provided "Log" attribute.
Now in one of my applications consuming said library i am logging to an insightsbackend.

One of my methods in that library serializes an object to a json string. Causing the insightsbackend to throw an overflowexception whenever the string goes beyond a specific length (havent tried to figure out said length). What are my options here?
Removing the log from the specific attribute or am I able to do some configuration to ignore the overflow?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 06 Dec, 2017 05:32 PM

Hello,

The issue with the OverflowException in the logging library is related to a known bug (#15686). We will get back to you once the bug fix is released.

The logging configuration API allows you to set a custom buffer size, the default size is 2048. For example:

var backend = new PostSharp.Patterns.Diagnostics.Backends.ApplicationInsights.ApplicationInsightsLoggingBackend();
    backend.Options.ActionMaxLength = 65536;
    backend.Options.ContextMaxLength = 65536;

Documentation articles:

Please note, that the configuration changes might not work for ApplicationInsightsLoggingBackend until the bug #15686 is fixed.

In the meantime you can temporarily exclude the affected method from logging by applying the [Log] attribute with AttributeExclude = true: http://doc.postsharp.net/attribute-multicasting#excluding

-alex

2. 2 Posted by esben on 07 Dec, 2017 07:56 AM

Im aware of the AttributeExclude property, problem is that I actually needed the output :p

I will attempt to increase the buffer size and see what happens.

3. 3 Posted by esben on 07 Dec, 2017 08:38 AM

Apparently, setting the buffer size is either irrelevant for the given error, or is not taking into consideration. So back to disabling the logging or using another backend.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 10 Dec, 2017 09:16 PM

Hello,

the bug #15686 has been fixed in the current release of PostSharp 5.0.41.
    Should you need further help with this issue, don't hesitate to re-open this discussion.

-alex

5. PostSharp Technologies closed this discussion on 10 Dec, 2017 09:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac