Error connecting to the pipe server (5.1.4 - 5.1.9)

voigt.niels

07 May, 2018 03:39 PM

StackOverflow post

I just installed PostSharp Version 5.1.9-preview, because I hit a bug that PostSharp will not fix in their stable 5.0 version, but is assumed fixed in 5.1.1-alpha (the whole 5.1 line is recommended for .NET Core 2.0, but not deemed production ready yet, so it's either titled alpha or preview).

With 5.1.9-preview, NuGet packages updated to the same version without problems, my build fails, not with the project that encountered the bug, but right with the first project that is built. From the error messages, I assume their server (background/local on my machine) crashed during compilation:

------ Rebuild All started: Project: XXX.Core, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
C:\XXX\packages\PostSharp.5.1.9-preview\build\PostSharp.targets(340,5): warning : Connection unexpectedly closed by the server.
C:\XXX\packages\PostSharp.5.1.9-preview\build\PostSharp.targets(340,5): warning : Retrying to execute the pipe server.
C:\XXX\packages\PostSharp.5.1.9-preview\build\PostSharp.targets(340,5): warning : Connection unexpectedly closed by the server.
C:\XXX\packages\PostSharp.5.1.9-preview\build\PostSharp.targets(340,5): warning : Retrying to execute the pipe server.
C:\XXX\packages\PostSharp.5.1.9-preview\build\PostSharp.targets(340,5): error : Error connecting to the pipe server. See previous warnings for details.

When I go into the project options and set the PostSharp "Build Host" setting from "Default(Server)" to "Native", as recommended by their support to see the actual errors of the server, it builds fine and without errors.

What I tried:

• Restart VS
  • Reboot my machine
  • Set "Build Host" to "Native" and back to "Default(Server)"
  • Compiled a project in the same solution that has no dependencies, uses PostSharp but has not Aspects: This gets the usual "No Aspects, you can disable PostSharp" warning and works

• Installed 5.1.9-preview (breaks)

• Installed 5.1.6-alpha (breaks)

• Installed 5.1.4-alpha (breaks)

• Installed 5.1.3-alpha (works)

• Installed 5.1.2-alpha (works)

• Installed 5.1.1-alpha (works)

Any ideas how to solve this or how to find out what's wrong?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 09 May, 2018 10:16 AM

Hello,

these problems are quite hard to diagnose as it usually seem to be machine-specific.

Is the Visual Studio running under admin privileges? Does the same behavior occur when built for the command-line (under admin privileges)?

Do you have a stable Windows version (i.e. not insider preview)?

Best regards,
    Daniel

2. 2 Posted by voigt.niels on 14 May, 2018 03:09 PM

My VS is running with Admin privileges and I'm running a stable Windows 10 Build 16299.

Just noticed that when I switched back to reproduce: Version 5.1.9 with Nuget packages 5.1.3 works, installing the 5.1.9 packages as well breaks it.

Building on the command line yields the same errors as with Visual Studio:

PostSharp30Core:
      Das Verzeichnis "obj\x64\Debug\Before-PostSharp" wird erstellt.
      Merging assembly binding policy files.
    C:\Users\N.Voigt\source\repos\NotTheRealName.App.Backend_NuGetUpdate\Source\packages\PostSharp.5.1.9-preview\build\PostSharp.ta
    rgets(340,5): warning : Connection unexpectedly closed by the server. [C:\Users\N.Voigt\source\repos\NotTheRealName.App.Backend
    _NuGetUpdate\Source\NotTheRealName.Core\NotTheRealName.Core.csproj]
    C:\Users\N.Voigt\source\repos\NotTheRealName.App.Backend_NuGetUpdate\Source\packages\PostSharp.5.1.9-preview\build\PostSharp.ta
    rgets(340,5): warning : Retrying to execute the pipe server. [C:\Users\N.Voigt\source\repos\NotTheRealName.App.Backend_NuGetUpd
    ate\Source\NotTheRealName.Core\NotTheRealName.Core.csproj]
    rgets(340,5): warning : Connection unexpectedly closed by the server. [C:\Users\N.Voigt\source\repos\NotTheRealName.App.Backend
    rgets(340,5): warning : Retrying to execute the pipe server. [C:\Users\N.Voigt\source\repos\NotTheRealName.App.Backend_NuGetUpd
    ate\Source\NotTheRealName.Core\NotTheRealName.Core.csproj]
    rgets(340,5): error : Error connecting to the pipe server. See previous warnings for details. [C:\Users\N.Voigt\source\
    repos\NotTheRealName.App.Backend_NuGetUpdate\Source\NotTheRealName.Core\NotTheRealName.Core.csproj]

There are no other "prior warnings" of any kind.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 16 May, 2018 02:25 PM

Hello,

We were not able to reproduce this issue yet. Could you please rebuild your project with the diagnostic build log verbosity level and attach the zipped log file to this discussion? (/v:diag option in msbuild command line)

-alex

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac