PostSharp Explorer Window Doesn't Show Aspects After A Clean and Rebuild

scottlurowist

26 Jun, 2018 07:29 PM

When I clean the solution, and then rebuild, I notice that PostSharp Explorer displays the message "There is no aspect in the current solution, or the solution has not yet been built".

If I close Visual Studio after rebuilding the solution, restart it, and load my solution. I can then again see my applied aspects.

If I close Visual Studio after a clean and I DO NOT rebuild, then I again see an empty explorer window when I restart Visual Studio and reload the solution.

In fact, when I restart VS in a situation when the explorer window fails, I also noticed that with the use of dotPeek, that the aspects are not applied.

When the explorer window is empty, so is the metrics window.

The only way that aspects seem to work after a clean is to first rebuild the solution, and then restart VS.

I am using Visual Studio 2017 15.17.1. I observed this with PostSharp 5.0.52 and 6.0.16-rc.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 27 Jun, 2018 06:49 PM

Hello,

We were not able to reproduce the reported issue yet. I would like to confirm both the version of PostSharp NuGet package and the version of PostSharp Visual Studio extension that you're using.

Best regards,
    -alex

2. 2 Posted by scottlurowist on 28 Jun, 2018 11:34 AM

Ialready gave you that information!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 28 Jun, 2018 12:12 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry for not being clear in the last response. The versions of installed NuGet package and Visual Studio extension can be different, so I wanted to double-check that you were using the same version of both components.

-alex

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 29 Jun, 2018 09:47 AM

Hello,

To help with the investigation of the issue we would also like to ask you for the PostSharp Tools Diagnostics log output. To produce this log you can:

• Open PostSharp options dialogue and enable "Show diagnostics output window"
    • Restart Visual Studio and open your solution
    • Reproduce the issue (clean, rebuild, no aspects in PostSharp Explorer)
    • Open View => Output in Visual Studio and select "PostSharp Tools Diagnostics" in the drop down (see the attached screenshot)
    • Copy the log from the Output window and attach it to this discussion

Best regards,
    -alex

5. 5 Posted by scottlurowist on 04 Jul, 2018 03:14 PM

I have upgraded both the VS plugin and the NuGet packages to RC 17.

I currently only have aspects on the project "Ednm.BusinessRules.SendNotifications".

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 09 Jul, 2018 01:31 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry for the late response caused by the national holiday here in Czechia.

Thank you for providing all the details. We will investigate this issue further and we'll come back to you soon.

Best regards,
    -tony

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 11 Jul, 2018 09:57 AM

Hello,

we are still not able to reproduce your issue. Could you please share with us the .csproj files of your projects, so we can have a look at what is causing the behavior you're experiencing?

Best regards,
    -tony

8. 8 Posted by scottlurowist on 12 Jul, 2018 06:36 PM

I have attached the single project file that is currently using aspects.

9. 9 Posted by scottlurowist on 12 Jul, 2018 06:38 PM

I have attached a zip file with an MP4 file that shows what I am seeing.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 13 Jul, 2018 04:21 PM

Hello,

thank you for the details. We are currently investigating your issue and we'll get back to you soon.

Best regards,
    -tony

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 20 Jul, 2018 09:14 AM

Hello,

we have identified ReSharper Build being the cause. The behavior occurs only when a new project is created and build for the first time. After restarting Visual Studio and opening the project again, the refreshing after build starts to work properly. Most likely this is a bug in ReSharper Build which does not properly execute event notifying components that the build was finished.

Thanks for reporting the problem and for your time you have spent diagnosing it. We have decided that we will not solve this issue as it is (according to our diagnosis) a compatibility problem with a third party component, which replaces the standard Visual Studio feature in an incorrect way.

We are closing the ticket, please feel free to reopen it if you have further questions.

Best regards,
    Daniel

12. PostSharp Technologies closed this discussion on 20 Jul, 2018 09:14 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac