Postsharp 5.1 roadmap (.net standard 2.0 support)

robert.may's Avatar

robert.may

15 Aug, 2017 07:25 PM

support/roadmap goes to a file not found page. What is the current roadmap for .net standard 2.0 now that it's been released? I know it'll be in Postsharp 5.1, but what is the estimated eta for 5.1?

Thanks.

Robert

  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 16 Aug, 2017 02:10 PM

    PostSharp Technologies's Avatar

    Hi Robert,

    as you say, the .NET Standard 2.0 (as well as .NET Core 2.0) support is planned for PostSharp 5.1. There is not yet a release date planned for this version, but this feature will be our priority and first preview should be available soon. We are working on three weeks iteration pace and we release a preview of the upcoming release in the end of each iteration once it is ready for preview.

    Best regards,
    -tony

  2. 2 Posted by jahmai on 19 Aug, 2017 06:20 AM

    jahmai's Avatar

    PostSharp is proving to be the biggest blocker to evolution our product has ever seen. We keep being faced with the choice between disabling PostSharp and not upgrading to the latest framework and toolsets. It happened with project.json, VS2017, .netstandard 1.x, and now .netstandard2.0. If your product is so entrenched in the build pipeline that its incompatibility with new ubiquitous tools and frameworks causes the pipeline to fail, then you need to be ready to support the tech before it's officially released (the previews etc) and then as shortly after RTM as possible.

  3. Support Staff 3 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 24 Aug, 2017 10:06 AM

    PostSharp Technologies's Avatar

    Hi Robert,

    The next build of PostSharp 5.0 (released today or tomorrow) will have experimental support for .NET Standard 2.0, .NET Core 2.0 and UWP. Experimental means that it is not fully tested, but basic "happy path" scenarios seem to work.

    Due to the lack of quality of recent Microsoft pre-releases and the explosions of new .NET platforms, we chose to stop being early adopters. There is no way we can keep up with the new platforms without jeopardizing our main user base. Our metrics show that less than 5% of our customers use other platforms than the classic .NET Framework, while it takes at least 50% of our development effort just to catch up with the new platforms. It's a business decision of Microsoft to favor innovation over quality and stability -- a price the whole .NET ecosystem, including developers and third-party vendors like us, have to pay. We understand you may take the business decision not to use PostSharp if you want to be an early adopter of new Microsoft platforms, and we're ready to loose the <5% of customers who take this decision if it means we're able to better serve the remaining >95% of users.

    Thank you for your understanding.

    -gael

  4. 4 Posted by jahmai on 24 Aug, 2017 10:12 AM

    jahmai's Avatar

    Gael,

    You were probably addressing me, not Robert. Our product uses a huge array of 3rd party tools and libraries. PostSharp is the only one that ever holds us back from adopting released and stable Microsoft products. I think that says something. So yes, message received, if this is a pattern you're unwilling to break, then you've lost a customer. Good luck.

    -Jahmai

  5. Support Staff 5 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 24 Aug, 2017 12:09 PM

    PostSharp Technologies's Avatar

    Jahmai, I'm sorry to see you go. We're doing our best given our possibilities and I apologize we don't meet your expectations. However, we are currently economically unable to provide support for all new .NET technologies within weeks of their RTM date. I hope this is going to change because it seems the .NET ecosystem is becoming mature again - which it definitively was not in the last 3 years. But we still have some serious backlog. In the meantime, we will have to continue to prioritize our work and will necessarily disappoint some users and customers. I'm sorry for the inconvenience we're causing to your team.

    -gael

  6. Support Staff 6 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 25 Aug, 2017 09:45 PM

    PostSharp Technologies's Avatar

    Experimental support for .NET Standard 2.0 and .NET Core 2.0 has been released. We'll continue the efforts during the next weeks.

  7. PostSharp Technologies closed this discussion on 25 Aug, 2017 09:45 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac