NuGet Package Dependency

esben

03 Apr, 2018 07:20 AM

I am a bit confused as how dependencies are defined in the Postsharp NuGet packages, and why it is so.

The "PostSharp" package 5.0.49 depends on PostSharp.Redist >= 5.0.49 && < 6.0.0 - which means anything can basically upgrade up to version 6.0.0 without getting any grief from the compiler or nuget.
However looking at the PostSharp.Patterns.Diagnostics.* packages for version 5.0.49 (and also the aggregation packages and probably more) the dependency is PostSharp.Patterns.Diagnostics.Redist = 5.0.49
Which means that when i have a library package "A" which is consumed by library package "B", which again is consumed by executable project "C" and "C" wants to upgrade to PostSharp 5.0.50 i will get an error.

Something like this:
C->B->A->PostSharp.5.0.49
C->PostSharp.5.0.50

Is there any reason for having the PostSharp.Patterns.Diagnostics.* using a different dependency pattern than the "main" PostSharp package? Or is it a mistake, in case of the later please fix it, because it is annoying as hell when you have multiple packages using PostSharp.

1. 1 Posted by esben on 06 Apr, 2018 08:11 AM

So, any comments on this?

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 06 Apr, 2018 11:15 AM

Hello,

I'm sorry for the late response. We still need to finish our internal discussion on this topic before giving you the final answer.
    So far, yes, the current dependencies of Pattern libraries on Redist packages seem to be a mistake, or rather omission. We, however, need to review how flexible the range for these dependencies can be made.

-alex

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 10 Apr, 2018 07:58 AM

Hello,

We're closing the ticket for now as the bug has been internally filed as issue #15985. We will contact you as soon as the bug fix has been released.

For more details on our support policies and prioritization of bug fixes, please visit https://www.postsharp.net/support/policies.

Best regards,
    -tony

4. PostSharp Technologies closed this discussion on 10 Apr, 2018 07:58 AM.

5. esben re-opened this discussion on 10 Apr, 2018 08:34 AM

6. 4 Posted by esben on 10 Apr, 2018 08:34 AM

Okay, no ideas on what the solution is going to be?

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 10 Apr, 2018 09:01 AM

Not yet. The decision will come later as the bug becomes planned within our internal process.

Best regards,
    -tony

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac