Supported Obfuscation tools ?

wahib

17 Jul, 2018 12:42 AM

Hi,

I have an application that I've written using PostSharp, now that I'm deploying it, I'd like to protect it. However, solutions I've tried break, with stacktraces pointing back to PostSharp. This is fairly undocumented on the internet, but it appears that PostSharp has known limitations when it comes to obfuscation.
I'd like to ask if there's a product that I should try, known to work, commercial or free, or what features do I need to disable to make it work.
I have notably spent time with https://github.com/XenocodeRCE/neo-ConfuserEx , but it breaks at all protection levels.

Any help ?

Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by PostSharp Techn... on 17 Jul, 2018 11:40 AM

Hello Wahib,

the most important thing is to make sure the obfuscator runs after PostSharp. If this is the case, PostSharp is theoretically compatible with any obfuscator as it is not dependent on type names and other CLR artifacts that may be altered by an obfuscator. PostSharp running after obfuscation is not supported, as PostSharp only supports outputs of C# and VisualBasic compilers.

If you are experiencing problems with the obfuscator itself it may be due to it not supporting parts of CLS that are used by PostSharp, against which some obfuscators may not be tested. Example of this is methodof. I would suggest reporting this as bug to the author of the obfuscator. If PostSharp creates incorrect assembly (you can check .NET Framework assemblies with peverify tool), it would be bug on our side.

Sadly, we do not a keep list of compatible obfuscators, but I would suggest to look for those that are in development for a longer time.

Best regards,
    Daniel

2. 2 Posted by wahib on 17 Jul, 2018 07:14 PM

Hi Daniel,

That's great to hear !
    Well, I managed to get it work with CryptoObfuscator, but I had to disable advanced renaming for fields and methods.
    I'm including this detail shall it help you in development.

Keep up the amazing work, you can close the issue !

3. PostSharp Technologies closed this discussion on 18 Jul, 2018 12:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac